Professional Networking with Confidence Workshop
|Date:||Thursday, 13th August 2020|
|Time:||4:00pm - 6.00pm|
Following on from the success of Swinburne’s first STEM themed public speaking competition, Start Talking 2019, initiated by Dr Bita Zaferanloo, the FSET Student Engagement Team are pleased to be continuing the conversation in this webinar “Professional Networking with Confidence”, in partnership with the Career and Employability, the Communication for Scientists teaching team and FSET Clubs.
The webinar will broadly cover STEM themed communication and employability, including the following topics:
- How to increase personal confidence in deploying networking strategies
- How to pitch your STEM themed idea
- How to develop your professional purpose/identity
- How communication is can increase your employment outcomes and broader work placement opportunities
- How we support future-ready learners
Session One: Practical Professional Networking with Confidence
4:00pm – 5:00 pm
Get the latest tips and guidance on how to build your professional network, how to pitch an idea and learn about how this can impact your future employment opportunities.
- Rob Vague, Career Development Manager, Careers and Employability
- FSET Clubs
Session Two: Communication and Employability Q&A Panel
5:00pm – 6:00 pm
Hear from a diverse panel of stakeholders as they discuss communication and employability, career experiences and opportunities in their STEM related organisations.
- Academic: Prof. Alan Duffy
- Government: Andrew P Woolnough
- Industry: Dr. Nicole Brown
- Entrepreneur: Hugh Stevens
- Indigenous community: Dr. Sadie Heckenberg
About Start Talking Competition
To create real change, we need more than just brilliant scientific minds. We need leaders, deep thinkers, adventurers, inspires, innovators, entrepreneurs, game-changers and science communicator. Students need to be trained to contribute to social change as global citizens.
Our first Start Talking Competition - STEM public speaking at Swinburne in 2019 offered free daily workshops around STEM communication and its impact on Swinburne students’ employability, covering a range of professional networking, digital skills for future-ready learners and public speaking topics with innovative entrepreneurs, educators and thought leaders. We're now continuing the Start Talking Competition 2020 aligned with two webinars. Please join us.