Intersectionality 101: How we can embrace it at Swinburne
You are viewing a past event.
|Date:||Thursday 27 July 2017|
|Venue:||EN213, Hawthorn Campus|
Professor Karen Farquharson, is a sociologist with expertise in diversity management, race, racism involving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and non-white migrants and gender diversity. Karen has research expertise in social research methods, ethnic and cultural diversity and intersectionality. In this seminar she will answer key questions on the topic and most importantly share what organisations are doing about it:
- What is intersectionality?
- Why is it important? Why are we talking about it?
- Who does it impact?
- How does it contribute to gender equity, in the context of the SAGE project?
- How can Swinburne more effectively and equitably employ and attract diverse staff and students?
- Case studies: what policies and practices in our organisation might need to be revised to be more inclusive (adopting the intersectionality lens), especially in a university context?