Dr. Stefan Zieger
- Centre for Ocean Engineering, Science and Technology
- +61 3 9214 5430
Swinburne University of Technology
PO Box 218
Hawthorn, Victoria, 3122
- Ph.D Oceanography (Swinburne University of Technology, 2010)
- MSc. (Cartography), Dresden University of Technology, 2007
- Observation-base dissipation and input terms for spectral wave model with end-user testing
- Australian National University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Naval Research Laboratory (US Army Corps of Engineers)
- National Centers for Environmental Prediction (US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)
Objective of this project is the development of observation-based wind-input and breaking-dissipation source terms, including extreme air-sea interactions, and implementing them into the spectral wave model WAVEWATCH3.
The new source terms will be developed based on existing and additional experimental and numerical data and outcomes.
The source terms will be tested, calibrated and validated using hindcasts representative of US Army and Navy applications, including tropical storms, based on stringent physical constraints.
- IR Young, AV Babanin and S Zieger, 2011, "Response to Comment on "Global Trends in Wind Speed and Wave Height", Sci., 334 (6058), 905, doi:10.1126/science.1210548
- IR Young, S Zieger and AV Babanin, 2011, "Global trends in wind speed and wave height", Sci., 332(6028), 451-455, doi:10.1126/science.1197219
- Zieger S, 2010, "Long term trends in ocean wind speed and wave height", PhD thesis, Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure, Swinburne University of Technology, http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/153875
- Zieger S, J Vinoth and IR Young, 2009, "Joint calibration of multi-platform altimeter measurements of wind speed and wave height over the past 20 years", J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech., 26(12), 2549-2564, doi:10.1175/2009JTECHA1303.1
- Zieger S, T Stieglitz and S Kininmonth, 2009, "Mapping reef features from multibeam sonar data using multiscale morphometric analysis", Mar. Geol., 264(3-4), 209-217, doi:10.1016/j.margeo.2009.06.002