Prof. Peter Kingshott
Professor of Polymer NanoInterface Engineering, Director Industry Engaged Learning
Industrial Research Institute Swinburne
Biointerface Engineering and Analysis
Office of the Executive Dean
- +61 3 9214 5033
- 0450 749 384
- +61 3 9214 5050
Swinburne University of Technology
PO Box 218
Hawthorn, Victoria, 3122
Peter joined IRIS within FEIS at Swinburne in late 2010. He will head The Polymer NanoInterface Engineering Group that has a strong emphasis on controlling the interfacial interactions of biological materials with advanced material surfaces. The focus will be development of new 1, 2 and 3D surface micro– and nanopatterning approaches aimed at improving our understanding of how biology and man–made materials interact with each other
Application areas include:
- Surfaces of medical implants
- Surfaces for infection control
- Surfaces for tissue engineered devices
- Surfaces for regenerative medicine
- Surfaces for nanoparticles in drug delivery
- Surfaces for biosensors
- Surfaces for minimizing industrial biofouling
After leaving Australia Peter took up postdoc positions at the National ESCA and Surface Analysis Centre for Biomedical Problems (NESAC/BIO) based at The University of Washington in Seattle, and the Centre for Competence in Biomaterials at the RWTH Aachen in Germany. His research focused on developing protein and cell resistant biomaterials surfaces and using extremely sensitive surface analytical techniques to understand the precise role played by surface chemistry in biointerface science.
In 2000 Peter moved to Denmark to become a Senior Scientist at The Danish Polymer Centre, Riso National Laboratory, near Copenhagen. He worked there for 5 ½ years on projects relating to biointerface and polymer surfaces, with a large emphasis being placed on industry collaborations either within large consortia or in smaller protects.
Peter moved to the Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Centre (iNANO) at Aarhus University in 2006 as Associate Professor where his group, amongst other activities, set up the surface analysis facility (XPS and ToF–SIMS). It is at this stage Peter's research began to focus on nanoscience and nanotechnology where he started developing new surface patterning techniques based on colloidal crystal layers and using functionalised polymer nanofibers by electrospinning both for life science applications. Many of the projects involved industry partners either as joint PhD projects, integrated R&D projects or broader consortia involving many partners.
- PhD UNSW
- BSc (Hons) Murdoch
- 2006–2010: Associate Professor, Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Centre (iNANO), Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 2000–2006: Senior Scientist, Danish Polymer Centre, Riso National Laboratory, Denmark.
- 2000: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Institute of Macromolecular and Textile Chemistry, RWTH Aachen, Germany.
- 1999: Senior Fellow, NESAC/BIO, University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
- 1997–1999: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, CSIRO Molecular Science, Melbourne, Australia.
Areas of Expertise and Research
- Surface modification of polymeric biomaterials for improving biocompatibility using: plasma polymerisation, chemical vapour deposition, graft polymerisation, wet chemical grafting of natural and synthetic polymers.
- Protein and mammalian cell interactions with surfaces relevant to blood biocompatibility, tissue reactions and the human tear film.
- Bacterial adhesion in relation to medical device related infections and contamination of food processing equipment surfaces.
- Immobilisation of biomolecules for increased cell attachment and growth, and drug delivery applications.
- Surface modification of inorganic substrates using organic molecules, such as, self– assembled monolayers (SAMS) on Au and silanes on glass and silicon substrates.
- Chemical degradation and environmental stress cracking of polymers and rubbers.
- Investigation and modification of fibre surfaces for composite materials.
- Electrospinning of polymer nanofibres and applications.
- Modification of surfaces with colloidal crystals.
- Chemical nanopatterning and topographical structuring using colloidal crystal templating.
- Experimental techniques include XPS, ToF–SIMS, MALDI–ToF–MS, surface–MALDI, SPM, QCM, SPR, ellipsometry, contact angles, Raman, SEM/TEM, FTIR, ELISA, and radio–labelling of proteins.
- Editorial Board of ISRN Analytical Chemistry.
- The American Vacuum Society (AVS).
- AVS Biointerfaces Division (BID) Executive Committee.
- Program Chair Elect in 2011 for The AVS Biointerfaces Division (BID) Executive Committee.
- The Australasian Society of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering (ASBTE).
- International Union for Vacuum Science Techniques and Applications (IUVSTA) International Scientific Committee.
Supervision of higher degree by research (HDR) (Currently 3 students)
|Name||Role||Research Centre||Start year||Degree||Institution|
|Hitesh Pingle||Primary Supervisor||IRIS||2012||PhD||Swinburne|
|Colloidal Lithography based Micro- and Nanopatterning of DNA to Elucidate the Attachment Mechanisms of Pseudomonas|
|Controlling Infection through Bacterial Sensing|
|Peter Koegler||Primary Supervisor||IRIS||2012||PhD||Swinburne|
|This list details recent Swinburne students and may not include students who completed more than 2 years ago or the Supervison of External Students|
Topics for Prospective Ph.D Students
View ALL prospective topics for Prof. Peter Kingshott
The project will modify surfaces with colloid crystal layers of made of particles of different size and different chemistries. The role played by the particle and substrate surface chemistry, and the solution conditions (concentration, pH, temperature, solvent) in the assembly process will be determined.
The project will utilise different sized particles and develop ways of assembling them on surfaces in a controllable fashion. They will then be used as masks against deposition of thin organic films, e.g. using plasma polymerisation, or metals, e.g. gold.
The project will modify surfaces with colloid crystal layers made of particles of different size and type of material, e.g., with polystyrene and silica particles, and layer thickness, followed by selective etching processes to generate 3D porous scaffolds of controllable dimensions. Cell migration and growth on the surfaces will be studied using time-lapse video microscopy.
The focus of this project is to develop nanofibers with multifunctionality consisting of a core component and a surface component with switchable surface properties, e.g. changing from hydrophilic to hydrophobic under the influence of an external stimulus such as a temperature change
The project will use biomimetic concepts to understand and prevent the complex process of protein adsorption to surfaces. The project is inspired by the heterogeneity of surfaces present within mammalian systems, which naturally resist non-specific protein interactions
The project will use the highly specific technique of surface-matrix assisted laser desorption/ionisation time-of-flight mass spectrometry (surface-MALDI-ToF-MS) as a direct method for investigating adsorption of proteins with different surface affinities
PublicationsPeter's research outcomes have been disseminated in 105 Journal articles, over 100 conference proceedings, 8 book chapters and he is co–inventor on 8 patents. His main science publications include:
- P. Kingshott, G. Andersson, S.L. McArthur, H. J. Griesser (2011): “Surface modification and chemical surface analysis of biomaterials”, Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol., 2011, accepted 12 July 2011.
- K. Malmos, J. Iruthayaraj, R. Ogaki, P. Kingshott, F. Besenbacher. S.U. Pedersen, K. Daasbjerg (2011): “Grafting of Thin Organic Films by Electrooxidation of Arylhydrazines”, J. Phys. Chem. C, accepted 4 June 2011.
- J. Vinge Nygaard, T. Uyar, M. Chen, P. Cloetens, P. Kingshott, F. Besenbacher (2011): “Characterisation of internal morphologies in electrospun fibers by X–ray tomographic microscopy”, Nanoscale, DOI: 10.1039/c1nr10304k.
- K. Kolind, D. Tilsted Bennetsen, A. Arpanaie, M. Duch, J. Lovmann, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott, M. Foss (2011): “A Combinatorial Library of Micro–Topographies and Chemical Compositions for Tailored Surface Wettability”, Adv. Eng. Mater., 13(6), 516–524.
- G. Singh, S. Pillai, A. Arpanaei, P. Kingshott (2011): “Layer–by–Layer Growth of Multicomponent Colloidal Crystals over Large Areas”, Adv. Funct. Mater., 21, 2556–2563.
- T.E. Andersen, Y. Palarasah, M.–O. Skjødt, R. Ogaki, M. Benter, M. Alei, H.J. Kolmos, C. Koch, P. Kingshott (2011): “Low–energy plasma polymerized poly(vinyl pyrrolidone) decreases material–activation of the complement system”, Biomaterials, 32, 4481–4488.
- R. Ogaki, M.A. Cole, D.S. Sutherland, P. Kingshott (2011): “Micro–cup Array Patterns of Four Chemical Regions with Nanoscale Precision”, Adv. Mater. 23, 1876–1881.
- G. Singh, S. Pillai, A. Arpanaei, P. Kingshott (2011): “Electrostatic and capillary force directed tunable 3D binary micro– and nanoparticle assemblies on surfaces”, Nanotechnology, 22, 225601.
- G. Singh, S. Pillai, A. Arpanaei, P. Kingshott (2011): “Multicomponent Colloidal Crystals that are Tunable over Large Areas”, Soft Matter, 7(7), 3290–3294.
- F. Dinelli. A, Ricci, T. Sgrilli, P. Baschieri, P. Pingue, M. Puttaswamy, P. Kingshott (2011): “Nanoscale viscoelastic behaviour of the surface of thick polystyrene films as a function of temperature”, Macromolecules, 44(3), 987–992.
- A. Keller, F. Monika, R. Ogaki, I. Bald, S. Facsko, M. Dong, P. Kingshott, F. Besenbacher (2011): “Tuning the hydrophobicity of mica surfaces by hyperthermal Ar ion irradiation”, J. Chem. Phys., 134, 104705.
- G. Singh, S. Pillai, A. Arpanaei, P. Kingshott (2011): “Highly–Ordered Mixed Protein Patterns over Large Areas from Self–Assembly of Binary Colloids”, Adv. Mater., 24(13),1519–1523.
- G. Singh, V. Gohri, S. Pillai, A. Arpanaei, M. Foss, P. Kingshott (2011): “Large Area Protein Patterns Generated by using Ordered Binary Colloidal Assemblies as Templates”, ACS Nano, 5(5), 3542–3551.
- J. Iruthayaraj, S. Chernyy, M. Lillethorup, M. Ceccato, T. Røn, M. Hinge, P. Kingshott, F. Besenbacher, S. Uttrup Pedersen, K. Daasbjerg (2011): “On Surface–Initiated Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization using Diazonium Chemistry to Introduce the Initiator Layer”, Langmuir, 27(3), 1070–1078.
- A. Dolatshahi–Pirouz, N. Kolman, A. Arpanaei, T. Jensen, M. Foss, J. Chevallier, P. Kingshott, J. Baas, K. Søballe, F. Besenbacher (2011): “The adsorption characteristics of osteopontin on hydroxyapatite and gold”, Mater. Sci. Eng. C–Mater., 31(3), 514–522.
- A.R. Boyd, G.A. Burke, H. Duffy, M. Holmberg, B.J. Meenan, P. Kingshott (2011): “Sputter Deposited Bioceramic Coatings: Surface characterisation and initial protein adsorption studies using Surface–MALDI–MS”, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med. 22, 71–84.
- G. Singh, H.J. Griesser, K. Bremmell, P. Kingshott (2011): “Highly–ordered nanopatterns by plasma polymerisation through masks of self–assembled binary colloid crystals”, Adv. Funct. Mater., 21, 540–546.
- R. Nielsen, P. Kingshott, T. Uyar, J. Hacaloglu, K.L. Larsen (2011): “Characterization of β–cyclodextrin modified SiO2”, Surf. Interface Anal., 43(5), 884–892.
- M. Puttaswamy, K.B. Haugshøj, L. Højslet Christensen, P. Kingshott (2010): “Molecular mechanisms of aluminium oxide thin film growth on polystyrene during atomic layer deposition”, Chem.–Euro. J., 16, 13925–13929.
- R. Ogaki, F. Lyckegaard, P. Kingshott (2010): “High Resolution Surface Chemical Analysis of a Trifunctional Pattern Made by Sequential Colloidal Shadowing”, ChemPhysChem., 11, 3609–3616.
- T. Uyar, R. Havelund, Y. Nur, A. Balan, J. Hacaloglu, L. Toppare, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2010): “Cyclodextrin functionalized poly(methyl methacrylate) electrospun nanofibres for organic vapors waste treatment”, J. Membr. Sci., 365(1–2), 409–417.
- T. Uyar, R. Havelund, J. Hacaloglu, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2010): “Functional electrospun polystyrene nanofibers incorporating alpha, beta and gamma cyclodextrins: Comparison of molecular filter performance”, ACS Nano, 4(9), 5121–5130.
- A. Arpanaei, B. Winther–Jensen, E. Theodosiou, P. Kingshott, T.J. Hobley, O.R.T. Thomas (2010): “Surface modification of chromatography adsorbents by low temperature low pressure plasma”, J. Chromatogr. A., 1217(44), 6905–6916.
- R.L. Meyer, X. Zhou, L. Tang, A. Arpanaei, P. Kingshott, F. Besenbacher (2010): “Immobilisation of living bacteria for AFM imaging under physiological conditions”, Ultramicroscopy, 110(11), 1349–1357.
- M. Bunge, L. Søbjerg, A. Lindhardt, D. Gauthier, M. Hyldgaard, G. Hause, K. Finster, T. Skrydstrup, P. Kingshott, R.L. Meyer (2010): “Formation of Palladium(0) Nanoparticles at Microbial Surfaces”, Biotech. Bioeng., 107(2), 206–215.
- L.C. Gjelstrup, S. Thiel, P. Kingshott, N. Thielens, T. Vorup–Jensen T (2010): “In–depth analysis by Biacore technology to evaluate the affinity versus avidity of the binding of the oligomeric pattern recognition molecule mannan–binding lectin”, Mol. Immun., 47(13 ), 2263.
- A. Dolatshahi–Pirouz, T. Jensen, D. Christian Kraft, M. Foss, P. Kingshott, J. Lundsgaard Hansen, A. Nylandsted Larsen, J. Chevallier, F. Besenbacher (2010): “Fibronectin adsorption, cell adhesion and proliferation on nanostructured tantalum surfaces”, ACS Nano, 4(5), 2874–2882.
- M. Chen, M. Dong, R. Havelund, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2010): “Thermo–responsive core–sheath electrospun nanofibers from poly(N–isopropylacryl–amide)/polycaprolactone blends”, Chem. Mater., 22(14), 4214–4221.
- M. Østergaard Andersen, A. Lichawska, A. Arpanaei, S. Møller Rask Jensen, H. Kaur, D. Oupicky, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott, J. Kjems, K.A. Howard (2010): “Surface Functionalisation of PLGA Nanoparticles for Gene Silencing”, Biomaterials, 31(21), 5671–5677.
- T.E. Andersen, P. Kingshott, M. Benter, M. Alei, H.J. Kolmos (2010): “A flow chamber for evaluation of bacterial surface colonization and the biofilm forming capacity of uropathogenic Escherichia coli”, J. Microbiol. Methods, 81(2), 135–140.
- R. Ogaki, M. Alexander, P. Kingshott (2010): “Chemical patterning in biointerface science”, Mater. Today, 13(4), 22–35.
- H. Thissen, T. Gengenbach, R. du Toit, D. Sweeney, P. Kingshott, H.J. Griesser, L. Meagher (2010): “Clinical observations of biofouling on PEO coated silicone hydrogel contact lenses”, Biomaterials, 31, 5510–5519.
- M. Hinge, M. Ceccato, P. Kingshott, F. Besenbacher, S. Uttrup Pedersen, K. Daasbjerg (2009): “Electrochemical Modification of Chromium Surfaces using 4–Nitrobenzenediazonium Salt”, New J. Chem., 33(12), 2405–2408.
- S. Pillai, A. Arpanaei, R.L. Meyer, V. Birkedal, L. Gram, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2009): “Preventing protein adsorption from a range of surfaces using an aqueous fish protein extract”, Biomacromol., 10, 2759–2766.
- J. Malmström, S. Shipovskov, B. Christensen, E.S. Sørensen, P. Kingshott, D.S. Sutherland (2009): “Adsorption and enzymatic cleavage of Osteopontin at Interfaces with Different Surface Chemistry”, Biointerphases, 4, 47–55.
- S. Lackner, M. Holmberg, A. Terada, P. Kingshott, B.F. Smets (2009): “Enhancing the formation and shear resistance of nitrifying biofilms on membranes by surface functionalization”, Water Res., 43, 3469–3478.
- T. Uyar, R. Havelund, Y. Nur, J. Hacaloglu, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2009): “Formation and characterization of cyclodextrin functionalized polystyrene nanofibres produced by electrospinning”, Nanotechnology, 20,125605.
- T. Uyar, R. Havelund, Y. Nur, J. Hacaloglu, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2009): “Molecular Filters Based on Cyclodextrin Functionalized Electrospun Fibers”, J. Membr. Sci., 332, 129–137.
- K. Malmos, M. Dong, S. Pillai, P. Kingshott, F. Besenbacher, S.U. Pedersen, K. Daasbjerg (2009): “Using a Hydrazone Protected Benzenediazonium Salt to Introduce a Near–monolayer of Benzaldehyde at Glassy Carbon Surfaces”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 131, 4928–4936.
- S. Pillai, A.G. Hemmersam, R. Mukhopadhyay, R.L. Meyer, S.M. Moghimi, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2009): “Tunable 3D and 2D polystyrene nanoparticle assemblies using surface wettability, low volume fraction and surfactant effects”, Nanotechnology, 20, 025604.
- N. Bernbom, Y. Ng, Yoke, R. Jørgensen, A. Arpanaei, R. Meyer, P. Kingshott, R. Vejborg, P. Klemm, Per; L. Gram (2009): “Adhesion of food borne bacteria to stainless steel is reduced by food conditioning films”, J. App. Microbiol., 106, 1268–1279.
- T. Uyar, P. Kingshott, F. Besenbacher (2008): “Electrospinning of Cyclodextrin Pseudopolyrotaxane Nanofibers”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 47, 9108–9111.
- C.K. Kjellander, T.B. Nielsen, A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, C.M. Hansen, K. Almdal (2008): “ESC resistance of commercial grade polycarbonates during exposure to butter and related chemicals”, Polym. Degrad. Stab., 93, 1486–1495.
- D. Minzari, P. Møller, P. Kingshott, L. Højslet Christensen, R. Ambat (2008): “Surface oxide formation during corona discharge treatment of AA 1050 Aluminium Surfaces”, Corrosion Sci., 50(5), 1321–1330.
- J. Drews, H. Launay, C.M. Hansen, K. West, S. Hvilsted, P. Kingshott, K. Almdal (2008): “Hydrolysis and stability of thin pulsed plasma polymerized maleic anhydride coatings”, Appl. Surf. Sci., 254, 4720–4725.
- R. Mukhopadhyay, O. Al–Hanbali, S. Pillai, A. G. Hemmersam, R.L. Meyer, A.C. Hunter, K.J. Rutt, F. Besenbacher, S.M. Moghimi, P. Kingshott (2007): “Ordering of binary polymeric nanoparticles on hydrophobic surfaces from low volume fraction dispersions”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129, 13390–13391.
- J. Malmström, H. Agheli, P. Kingshott, D.S. Sutherland (2007): “Viscoelastic Modelling of Highly Hydrated Laminin Layer at Homogenous and Nanostructured Surfaces–Quantification of Protein Layer Properties using QCM–D and SPR”, Langmuir, 23, 9760–9768.
- Y. Kusano, H. Mortensen, B. Stenum, P. Kingshott, T.L. Andersen, P. Brøndsted, J.B. Bilde–Sørensen, B.F. Sørensen, H. Bindslev (2007): “Atmospheric pressure plasma treatment of glass fibre composite for adhesion improvement”, Plasma Proc. Polym., 4 (no.S1), S455–S459.
- J. Drews, S. Goutianos, P. Kingshott, S. Hvilsted, N. Rozlosnik, T. Løgstrup Andersen, K. Almdal, B. Sørensen (2007): “Plasma Polymerised Thin Films of Maleic Anhydride and 1,2¬–Methylenedioxybenzene for Improving the Adhesion Strength of Carbon Surfaces”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A, 25, 1108–1117.
- A. Purice, J. Schou, P. Kingshott, M. Dinescu (2007): “Production of active lysozyme films by matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation at 355 nm”, Chem. Phys. Lett., 435, 350–353.
- Y. Kusano, H. Mortensen, B. Stenum, S. Goutianos, S. Mitra, A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, B.F. Sørensen, H. Bindslev (2007): “Atmospheric plasma treatment of glassy carbon for adhesion improvement”, Int. J. Adhesion Adhesives, 27(5), 402–408.
- M. Holmberg, K.B. Stibius, L. Nielsen, S. Ndoni, N.B. Larsen, P. Kingshott, X.L. Hou (2007): “Protein Aggregation and Degradation during Iodine Labelling and its Consequences for Protein Adsorption to Biomaterials”, Anal. Biochem., 363(1), 120–125.
- B. Clarke, P. Kingshott, Y. Rochev, X. Hou, A. Gorelov, W. M. Carroll (2007): “Effect of Nitinol Wire Surface Properties on Albumin Adsorption”, Acta Biomat., 3(1), 103–111.
- P. Stigsnaes, S. Frøkjær, S. Bjerregaard, M. van de Weert, P. Kingshott, E. Horn Møller (2007): “Characterisation and physical stability of PEGylation glucagon”, Int. J. Pharm., 330(1–2), 89–98.
- A. Purice, J. Schou, P. Kingshott, N. Pryds, M. Dinescu (2007): “Characterization of lysozyme films produced by matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation (MAPLE)”, Appl. Surf. Sci., 253(15), 6451–6455.
- A. Purice, J. Schou, P. Kingshott, N. Pryds, M. Dinescu (2007): “High Fluence Deposition of Polyethylene Glycol Films at 1064 nm by Matrix Assisted Pulsed Laser Evaporation (MAPLE)”, Appl. Surf. Sci., 253(19), 7952–7956.
- N. Bernbom, R.L. Jensen, Y. Y. Ng, R. L. Meyer, P. Kingshott, R. Munk Vejborg, P. Klemm, F. Besenbacher, L. Gram (2006): “Bacterial adhesion to stainless steel surfaces is reduced by aqueous fish extract coatings”, Biofilms, 3(1), 25–36.
- H. Mortensen, Y. Kusano, F. Leipold, N. Rozlosnik, P.Kingshott, B.F. Sørensen, B. Stenum, S. Goutianos, H. Bindslev (2006): “Modification of Glassy Carbon Surfaces by Atmospheric Cold Plasma Torches”, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 45(10B), 8506–8511.
- J.M. de la Fuente, A. Andar, N. Gadegaard, C. Berry, P. Kingshott, M. Riehle (2006): “Fluorescent Aromatic Platforms for Cell Patterning”, Langmuir, 22(13), 5528–5532.
- Z. Ademovic, B. Holst, R.A. Kahn, I. Jørring, T. Brevig, J. Wei, B. Winter–Jensen, P. Kingshott (2006): “The method of surface PEGylation influences leucocyte adhesion and activation”, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med., 17(3), 203–211.
- H. Thissen, G. Johnson, P.G. Hartley, P. Kingshott, H.J. Griesser (2006): “Two dimensional patterning of thin coatings for the control of tissue outgrowth”, Biomaterials, 27(1), 35–43.
- K.E. Bremmell, P. Kingshott, Z. Ademovic, B. Winther–Jensen, H.J. Griesser (2006): “Colloid–Probe AFM Investigation of Interactions between Fibrinogen and PEG–Like Plasma Polymer Surfaces”, Langmuir, 22, 313–318.
- F. Dinelli, J.–F. Moulin, M.–A. Loi, E. Da Como, M. Massi, M. Murgia, M. Muccini, F. Biscarini, J. Wei, P. Kingshott (2006): “Early Stages of –Sexithienyl Growth on Silicon Oxides”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 110, 258–263.
- S. Mitra, A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, H.K. Rehmeier, H. Abildgaard, K. Almdal (2006): “Chemical Degradation of Crosslinked Pure EPDM Rubbers in Acidic Environments. Part I. Effect on accelerated sulphur crosslinking”, Poly. Degrad. Stab., 91, 69–80.
- S. Mitra, A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, H. K. Rehmeier, H. Abildgaard, K. Almdal (2006): “Chemical degradation of crosslinked Pure EPDM rubbers in acidic environments. Part II. Effect on peroxide crosslinking in presence of a coagent”, Poly. Degrad. Stab., 91, 81–93.
- S. Mitra, A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, S. Hvilsted, K. Almdal (2006): “An investigation on changes in chemical properties of pure ethylene–propylene–diene rubber in aqueous acid environments”, Mater. Chem. Phys., 98(2–3), 248–255.
- S. Mitra, A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, S. Hvilsted, K. Almdal (2006): “Surface characterisation of ethylene–propylene–diene rubber upon exposure to aqueous acidic solution”, Appl. Surf. Sci., 252(18), 6280–6288.
- Z. Ademovic, B. Holst, X. Hou, B. Winter–Jensen, R.A. Kahn , T. Brevig, P. Kingshott (2005): “Leukocyte adhesion and activation on PEGylated polymer surfaces”. J. Biotech. 118: S37–S37.
- B. Winther–Jensen, K. Norrman, P. Kingshott, K. West (2005): “Characterisation of plasma–polymerised fused polycyclic compounds for binding conducting polymers”, Plasma Proc. Polym., 2, 319–327.
- S. Feih, J. Wei, P. Kingshott, B.F. Sørensen (2005): “The influence of fibre sizing on the strength and fracture toughness of glass fibre composites”, Composites A, 36(2), 245–255.
- T. Brevig, B. Holst, Z. Ademovic, N. Rozlosnik, J.H. Røhrmann, N.B. Larsen, O.C. Hansen, P. Kingshott (2005): “The recognition of adsorbed and denatured proteins of different topographies by 2 integrins and effects on leukocyte adhesion and activation”, Biomaterials, 26(16), 3039–3053.
- Z. Ademovic, J. Wei, B. Winter–Jensen, X. Hou, P. Kingshott (2005): “Surface modification of PET films using pulsed AC plasma polymerisation aimed at preventing protein adsorption”, Plasma Proc. Polym., 2, 53–63.
- A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, S. Mitra, P. Kingshott, K. Almdal, C. Bloch, H. Kem Rehmeier (2005): “Investigation of hydrothermal stability of cross–linked liquid silicone rubber (LSR)”, Polym. Degrad, Stab., 90, 471–480.
- A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, D. Werner Breiby, L. Arleth, C. Koch Kjellander, K. Almdal (2005): “Effect of anionic surfactant and morphological nature of HDPE in environmental stress cracking (ESC)”, Polym. Degrad. Stab., 89, 442–453.
- K. Norrman, P. Kingshott, B. Kaeselev and A. Ghanbari–Siahkali (2004): “Photodegradation of Poly(ether sulfone). Part I: A time–of–flight secondary ion mass spectrometry study”, Surf. Interface Anal., 36(12), 1533–1541.
- S. Mitra, A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, S. Hvilsted, K. Almdal (2004): “Chemical degradation of a non cross–linked pure fluororubber in an alkaline environment”, J. Polym. Sci. A: Polym. Chem., 42(24), 6216–6229.
- H.J. Griesser, P. Kingshott, S.L. McArthur, K.M. McLean, G.R. Kinsel, R.B. Timmons (2004): “Surface–MALDI mass spectrometry in biomaterials research”, Biomaterials, 25, 4861–4875.
- S. Mitra, A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, P. Kingshott, K. Almdal, H. Kem Rehmeier, A.G. Christensen (2004): “A study on the chemical degradation of fluoroelastomer in an alkaline environment”, Polym. Degrad. Stab., 83, 195–206.
- A. Ghanbari–Siahkali, K. Almdal, P. Kingshott (2003): “Limitations of using Raman microscopy for the analysis of compounded EPDM rubber”, Appl. Spectr., 57(12), 1482–1482.
- P. Kingshott, J. Wei, D. Bagge–Ravn, N. Gadegaard, L. Gram (2003): “Covalent attachment of poly(ethylene glycol) to surfaces is critical for reducing bacterial adhesion”, Langmuir, 19(17), 6912–6921.
- M. Strange, P. Kingshott (2003): “Overfladeanalyse i biologiske miljøer”, Plast. Panorama, 52 (no.7/8), 24–26.
- J. Wei, D. Bagge Ravn, L. Gram, P. Kingshott (2003): “Stainless steel modified with poly(ethylene glycol) can prevent protein adsorption but not bacterial adhesion”, Colloid Surf. B: Biointer., 32, 275–291.
- M.A. Tshabalala, P. Kingshott, M.R. Van Landingham, D. Plackett (2003): “Surface chemistry and moisture sorption properties of wood coated with multifunctional alkoxysilanes by the sol–gel process”, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 88, 2828–2841.
- F.J. Mayer–Posner, V. Sauerland, H. Kaminski, S. Ndoni, W. Batsberg Pedersen, S. Hvidt, P. Kingshott (2003): “Investigation of copolymers by liquid chromatography and MALDI”, Poly. Mater. Sci. Eng., 88, 21–23.
- P. Kingshott, S. McArthur, H. Thissen, D. Castner, H.J. Griesser (2002): “Ultrasensitive probing of the protein resistance of PEG surfaces by secondary ion mass spectrometry”, Biomaterials, 23(24), 4775–4785.
- B. Kæselev, P. Kingshott, G. Jonsson (2002): “Influence of the surface structure on the filtration performance of UV–modified PES membranes”, Desalination, 146, 265– 271.
- H. Thissen, J.P. Hayes, P. Kingshott, G. Johnson, E.C. Harvey, H.J. Griesser (2002): “Nanometer thickness laser ablation for spatial control of cell attachment”, Smart Mater. Struct., 11, 792–799.
- M.J. Bruining, A.P. Pijpers, P. Kingshott, L.H. Koole (2002): “Studies on new polymeric biomaterials with tunable hydrophilicity, and their possible utility in corneal repair surgery”, Biomaterials, 23(4), 1213–1219.
- Z. Ademovic, D. Klee, P. Kingshott, R. Kauffman, H. Hoecker (2002): “Minimization of protein adsorption on poly(vinylidene fluoride)”, Biomol. Eng., 19(2–6), 177–182.
- P. Kingshott, H. Thissen, H.J. Griesser (2002): “Effects of cloud point grafting, chain length, and density of PEG layers on adsorption of ocular proteins”, Biomaterials, 23(9), 2043–2056.
- H. Thissen, J.P. Hayes, P. Kingshott, G. Johnson, E.C. Harvey, H.J. Griesser (2001): “Excimer laser ablation for spatially controlled protein patterns”, Proc. of SPIE, 4590, 57–65.
- P. Kingshott, H.A.W. St John, R.C. Chatelier, H.J. Griesser (2000): “Surface–MALDI mass spectrometry detection of proteins adsorbed in vivo onto contact lenses”, J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 49, 36–42.
- K.M. McLean, S.L. McArthur, R.C. Chatelier, P. Kingshott, H.J. Griesser (2000): “Hybrid biomaterials: Surface–MALDI mass spectrometry analysis of covalent binding versus physi–sorption of proteins”, Colloid Surf. B, 17, 23–35.
- S.L. McArthur, K.M. McLean, P. Kingshott, H.A.W. St John, H.J. Griesser (2000): “Effect of polysaccharide structure on protein adsorption”, Colloid Surf. B, 17, 37–48.
- J. Nesiba, P. Kingshott, L. Gamble, S.Golledge, D.G. Castner (1999): “Detection of intact peptides by matrix–assisted ToF–SSIMS”, J. Undergrad. Res. Eng., 3(1), 85–101.
- H.J. Griesser, K.M. McLean, G.J. Beumer, X. Gong, P. Kingshott, G. Johnson, J.G. Steele (1999): “Surface immobilization of synthetic proteins via plasma polymer interlayers in: Plasma deposition and treatment of polymers”, (Eds W.W.Lee, R. d’Agostino, M.R. Wertheimer, B.D. Ratner), Materials Research Society Proceedings, Vol. 544, 9.
- P. Kingshott, H.A.W. St John, H.J. Griesser (1999): “Direct detection of proteins adsorbed on synthetic materials by matrix–assisted laser desorption ionisation–mass spectrometry”, Anal. Biochem., 273, 156–162.
- P. Kingshott, H.J. Griesser (1999): “Surfaces that resist bioadhesion”, Curr. Opin. Solid State Mat. Sci., 4(3), 403–412.
- S.L. McArthur, P. Kingshott, H.A.W. St John, K.M. McLean, H.J. Griesser (1999): “Surface–MALDI–MS analysis of in–vivo contact lens protein fouling”, Invest Opth. Vis. Sci., 40(4), 3198B56.
- F. Caruso, D.N. Furlong, P. Kingshott (1997): “Characterisation of ferritin adsorption on to gold”, J. Colloid Inter. Sci., 186, 129–140.
- R.C. Chatelier, H.A.W. St John, T.R. Gengenbach, P. Kingshott, H.J. Griesser (1997): “Incorporation of surface topography in the XPS analysis of curved or rough samples covered by thin multilayers”, Surf. Interf. Anal., 25, 741–746.
- P. Kingshott, R.C. Chatelier, H.A.W. St John, H.J. Griesser (1997): “Effects of surface charge and coating structure on lysozyme adsorption”, Abs. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc., 213: 49–PMSE Part 2 April 13.
- P. Kingshott, H.A.W St John, R.C. Chatelier, H.J. Griesser (1997): “Study of protein adsorption onto polysaccharide contact lens coatings by MALDI–TOF–MS and XPS”, Abs. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc., 213: 49–PMSE Part 2 April 13.
- H.A.W. St John, P. Kingshott, H.J. Griesser, C. Morris, S. Bolis (1997): “Surface characterisation of worn hydrogel contact lenses”, Abs. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc., 213: 49–PMSE Part 2 April 13.
- P. Kingshott, H.A.W. St John, R.C. Chatelier, F. Caruso, H.J. Griesser (1997): “MALDI–TOF– MS study of protein adsorption to heptylamine plasma polymer”, Abs. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc., 213: 402–POLY Part 2 April 13.
- Y. Kusano, H. Mortensen, S. Teodoru, J.M. Drews, T.L. Andersen, B.F. Sørensen, N. Rozlosnik, S. Goutianos, P. Kingshott, S. Mitra, F. Leipold, K. Almdal, P.K. Michelsen, H. Bindslev (2011), "Plasma surface modification of glassy carbon plates, carbon fibres and UHMWPE fibres for adhesion improvement", in Fiber–reinforced composites, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., in press, accepted 11 March 2011.
- Y. Kusano, T.L. Andersen, B.F. Sørensen, N. Rozlosnik, H. Mortensen, S. Teodoru, P. Kingshott, F. Leipold, S.V. Singh, J. Bilde–Sørensen, P. Brøndsted, P.K. Michelsen, H. Bindslev, A. Bardenshtein, N. Krebs (2011), "Adhesion improvement of glass fibre reinforced polyester composite by atmospheric pressure plasma treatment", in Fiber–reinforced composites, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., in press, accepted 11 March 2011.
- M. Jasieniak, D. Graham, P. Kingshott, L. Gamble, H.J. Griesser (2009): "Surface Analysis of Biomaterials", in Handbook of Surface and Interface Analysis Methods for Problem–Solving, Ch. 17, 2nd Edition, J. C. Rivière and S. Myhra (Eds), CRC Press, Taylor and Francis. Ch. 17, p.529.
- H.J. Griesser, P. Kingshott (2007): "Desorption by Photons: Laser Desorption and Matrix–Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization (MALDI)", in Encyclopedia of Mass Spectrometry, M.L. Gross and R.M Caprioli (Eds), Vol 6, Elsevier, Ch. 9.
- P. Kingshott, H. Hoecker (2006): "Adsorption of Proteins: Assessment Methods", in Encyclopedia of Surface and Colloid Science, P. Somasundaran (Ed), 2nd Edition. Vol. 5. Taylor and Francis, New York. pp. 669–694.
- Z. Ademovic, P. Kingshott (2005): "Micro– and Nanoscale Surface Patterning Techniques for Localising Biomolecules and Cells: The Essence of Nanobiotechnology", in Surfaces and Interfaces for Biomaterials, P. Vadgama (Ed), Woodland Publishing, Ch. 6.
- H.J. Griesser, S. L. McArthur, M. S. Wagner, P. Kingshott, K.M. McLean and D.G. Castner (2003): "XPS, ToF–SIMS and MALDI–MS for Characterizing Adsorbed Protein Films", in Biopolymers at Interfaces, 2nd Edition, M. Malmsten (Ed), Marcell Dekker, New York (Surfactant Science Series,110), pp. 641–669.
- . Kingshott, H. Hoecker (2002): "Methods of Assessing Protein Adsorption", in Encyclopedia of Surface and Colloid Science, A. Hubbard (Ed), Marcel Dekker, New York.
- T. Broch–Nielsen, J. Bondergaard, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2011): "Permanent Hydrophilic Nonwoven", US 2011124255,.
- T. Broch–Nielsen, J. Bondergaard, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott, S. Moelgaard (2009): "Superhydrophobic coating of a polymer nonwoven, in particular a polypropylene nonwoven", US2009227164, WO2007048630, DE112006002245, DE102005051550.
- A. Arpanaei, T.J. Hobley, O.R.T. Thomas, B. Winter–Jensen, P. Kingshott (2008): "Adsorbent Beads suitable for use in separation of biological molecules", WO2008154931,.
- T. Broch–Nielsen, J. Bondergaard, F. Besenbacher, P. Kingshott (2007): "Material comprising and consisting of fibres and nanoclay", WO2007048547, DE102005051844, EP1941083.
- D. Klee, P. Kingshott, Z. Ademovic, N. Schrage, E. Berndt (2005): "Hornhautprothese", DE50106407D,.
- D. Klee, P. Kingshott, Z. Ademovic, N. Schrage, E. Berndt (2003): "Keratoprothesis", WO0243622, EP1337201.
- H.J. Griesser, P. Kingshott (2000): "Neutral Coatings", EP1048304,.
- H.J. Griesser, P. Kingshott (2000): "Neutral Coating Film", JP2000351862,.