Whether you’re looking to study a vocational education course or an undergraduate or postgraduate course, a variety of loans, discounts and scholarships are available to help you with your tuition fees.

As with any loan or financial document, eligibility criteria and terms and conditions apply. You should make sure you fully understand the terms of your loan or agreement before applying. 

Vocational education students

  • Dale Johnson working on the Achievable Gardens Excellence award winning 'Awash with Nature' garden. Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show, 2017

    Free Priority TAFE courses

    Check if you’re eligible for Victorian Government-subsidised training. If so, you can access the Free TAFE for Priority Courses initiative to have your tuition fees covered when you study an approved course.

  • Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show, 2017

    Skills First program

    Skills First is a Victorian Government program that can help you access vocational education and training. If you’re eligible, the government will contribute to the cost of your training.

  • VET Student Loan

    The VET Student Loan (VETSL) program helps eligible students enrolled in approved diploma-level courses or above pay the tuition fees of an approved provider like Swinburne. 

  • Certificate II in Building and Construction Students Saara (Female) and Robin (Male) at Croydon trades barn.

    Trade Support Loans

    Doing an apprenticeship? You may be able to get a Trade Support Loan of up to A$21,078 from the Australian Government to help with your ordinary living expenses.

  • Fee concessions for vocational students

    Check your eligibility for vocational education fee discounts and concessions of 80% off standard tuition fees for units and courses at Swinburne.

Undergraduate and postgraduate students

  • Images to promote Law at Swinburne. Photo taken in the Moot Court.

    HECS-HELP loan

    Most local students studying an undergraduate degree in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) as well as UniLink students can pay their tuition fees via a HECS-HELP loan.

  • FEE-HELP loan

    If you’re a full-fee-paying undergraduate, postgraduate, UniLink or Open Universities (OUA) student, a FEE-HELP loan can help you pay all or part of your tuition fees.

  • SA-HELP loan

    The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) pays for important student services and amenities such as health and welfare services. SA-HELP loans are only available to students required to pay the SSAF.

Lost your wallet?

If you need to borrow a small amount of money in an emergency (perhaps you've lost your wallet and need help to get home), contact the student equity adviser at your campus.

Small loans

No-interest loans

At Swinburne, we offer the No-Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) alongside our partners Good Shepherd Microfinance for essential living products for those experiencing financial hardship. These small, no-interest loans of A$300–A$1,200 are designed to pay for essential items such as: 

  • household appliances (e.g. toaster, heater)
  • some medical and dental services
  • furniture (e.g. beds, mattresses, tables)
  • education (e.g. course materials, course fees)
  • vehicle repairs
  • computers.

NILS is available to students who can demonstrate that they are in financial hardship and repayments are spread over a 12-month period. The loans cost nothing to set up and accrue no interest. 

NILS loan eligibility 

To be eligible, you need to:

  • hold a Health Care Card or Pension Card or be on a low income
  • have lived in your current residence for at least three months
  • state a clear purpose for the loan (e.g "I need a NILS loan to buy a bed")
  • show your willingness and ability to repay the loan.

To apply for a no-interest loan, contact the Student Equity Adviser on equity@swinburne.edu.au or call +61 3 9214 8882.

Need financial advice?

Whether it's arranging payments for your fees, learning if you qualify for a loan or dealing with an overdue invoice, financial help is available.

Find out more