Focused on Student Outcomes
Swinburne is a progressive and inclusive university, focused on world-class research, high-quality teaching and active engagement with both industry and the community. Our aim is to support our students to achieve their education and employment aspirations. We do this through offering career-relevant courses that blend acquiring practical skills with the necessary theoretical knowledge. They are taught by highly qualified and industry experienced staff and offer industry-engaged learning opportunities. It’s this personalised approach to learning that best prepares graduates for rewarding careers.
Major proof points:
- Swinburne was ranked in the top 400 research-intensive universities in the world (top 10 in Australia, top 3 in Victoria) by the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2013
- Swinburne consistently receives hight ratings for teaching quality, graduate satisfaction and generic (employability) skills in The Good Universities Guide.
- The only overall 5-star rated university in Victoria and consistently rated in the top ten Australian universities by the student-driven Rate Your Uni website. The same site rates Swinburne first in Victoria for ‘meeting overall student expectations’ as well as for access to practical work experience, quality of teaching, and quality of career/employment support.
- In terms of graduate satisfaction, the Graduate Careers Australia run Course Experience Questionnaire (CEQ) data, collected from newly qualified higher education graduates, consistently shows Swinburne outperforming most Australian universities.
- In The Good Universities Guide 2013, Swinburne received a 5-star rating for generic skills and 4-star ratings for staff qualifications, teaching quality, overall satisfaction and getting a job – some of the highest ratings in Victoria.
- Swinburne received its highest ratings for graduate satisfaction in the Course Experience Questionnaire in 2012. The university was highly rated for good teaching (84.5 per cent, up 3.5 per cent on 2011), generic skills (86.7 per cent, +3.7 per cent) and overall graduate satisfaction (71.8 per cent, +3.1 per cent).
- We are rated one of the best universities in Melbourne for graduate satisfaction and teaching quality in the Postgraduate Good Universities Guide 2013.
- Swinburne offers the opportunity to gain qualifications from certificate level through to PhD, Swinburne has academic pathways into undergraduate study and is a national leader in the provision of intersectoral study pathways, from TAFE to university.
- Swinburne provides high-quality vocational training at all campuses, including the $10 million green trades centre at Croydon and the KIOSC trade training centre at Wantirna. Programs in English for new migrants, the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (as an alternative to VCE), apprenticeships and skills training for work and career advancement across many study areas and industries are emblematic of the range and scope of education opportunity at Swinburne.