Dr Jason Sargent
PhD, University of Sydney, Australia; Bachelor of Information and Communication Technology (Hons), University of Wollongong, Australia
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Swinburne Business School
- Department of Business Technology and Entrepreneurship
- BA1009 Hawthorn campus
Dr. Jason Sargent is a lecturer in Information Systems and Director of the Information Systems for Social Impact Research Group in the Swinburne Business School, Swinburne University of Technology. Jason's teaching and research nexus is on technology for positive social impact and he annually supervises a small group of Swinburne undergraduate IT and Business students who travel to India to work with remote tribal communities in the Satpuda Ranges of Maharashtra State on projects to improve curriculum delivery for tribal schools, imagineering a passion for IT through the use of virtual reality and coding robotics as applied teaching tools and documenting land ownership and digital land data governance to support tribal groups in the Yawal Forest, Jamnya, India. These projects are student-centred and funded through the Australian Government's New Colombo Plan (NCP) Short-Term Mobility Grants. Jason’s work in leading and designing the India projects has been internationally recognised through being the inaugral recipient of QS-Unisolutions Global IMPACT award for Best Staff Mobility Experience, Valencia, Spain June 16, 2016 and from a team perspective, receiving the Real Life Learning Award, PIEoneer Awards Gala Dinner, London, September 8, 2018. Other (funded) research projects include Roshni Ki Kiren -- deploying a Digital Access VEhicle (DAVE) in Pakapattan, Pakistan in collaboration with Dr Ashir Ahmed (Swinburne) and Roshni Welfare Society and an ongoing exploration of the role of ICT in the Somalia 20(24) elections in collaboration with Dr Paul Scifleet, Associate Professor Rohan Bennett and the Somali Cultural Association Inc. Victoria.
Jason holds technical Diplomas in IT (Network Engineering & PC & Network Support with Distinction), a first class Honours Degree in Information & Communication Technology with double specialisation of Business Information Systems & Electronic Commerce from the University of Wollongong, and a PhD in Education from the University of Sydney. He is also a visiting Senior Reserach Fellow at the Nathu Puri Institute (NPI) for Engineering and Enterprise, London South Bank University, an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Technology and Society @IEEESSIT and regularly reviews for the Journal of Theoretical and Applied Electronic Commerce Research.
Jason’s undergraduate Honours thesis, titled ‘The Digital Aid Framework (DAF)’, introduced to the field of technology-enabled humanitarian relief a conceptual end-to-end technology integration framework for humanitarian (refugee) relief operations. His DAF thesis was awarded the PriceWaterhouseCoopers Award for highest grade achieved in an Honours project in the Faculty of Informatics, University of Wollongong, in 2003 and his ACM Ubiquity article summarising the DAF was subsequently used as course material at the University of California-Davis and has been downloaded >179,000 times.
Jason’s doctoral candidature was based in the University of Sydney’s Centre for Research on Computer Supported Learning and Cognition (CoCo Lab), Faculty of Education & Social Work. His thesis explored complexities in attainment of higher education by refugees on the Thai-Burma Border through a trinity of theoretical lenses: social capital, communities of practice and blended learning and came about through his association with the Melbourne-based Refugee Tertiary Education Committee (now Outreach of Universities to Refugees--OUR http://www.our.asn.au). His doctoral fieldwork was carried out on the TBB near Mae Pa and Mae Sot, Thailand.
Jason currently performs the roles of Course Director MA-BIS Master of Business Information Systems, MA-ITB Master of IT Business Analysis and MA-ITPM Master of IT Project Management.
Jason's work in the humanitarian technology and positive social impact domain can be followed through Twitter @DigiDoGood.
Social impact; Internet of Things; Imagineering; short-term mobility projects; India; ICT4D; humanitarian technology; refugees; social capital; communities of practice; Thai Burma Border
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Business And Management - 150300
Social Impact;Overseas Short-term Mobility Projects;IT for Social Impact India Project;Professional Issues in IT;Information Systems Management;Management Support Systems;Capstone Projects;Configuring Business Information Systems Solutions
- 2018, International, PIEoneer Award, Real Life Learning, Professionals in International Education
- 2016, International, QS-UNISOLUTION Inaugural Staff Mobility IMPACT Award, QS-UNISOLUTION
- 2003, Other, PriceWaterhouseCoopers award for highest grade in Honours, Faculty of Informatics, University of Wollongong
Also published as: Sargent, Jason; Sargent, J.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: Digital literacy in rural Pakistan: Barriers and their solutions *; Faculty of Health, Arts and Design - Internal Contributions
- 2018: Preparing for Election 2021: Somalias National Digital Identity Program and the role of ICT in Somalias federal election, 202 *; SOMALI_ASSN
* Chief Investigator
- 2019-02-27: Swinburne takes ‘Digital School in a Van’ to Pakistan - Swinburne
- 2018-09-18: Swinburne IT for social impact project wins international education award - Swinburne
- 2016-06-22: The Two of Us - Swinburne
- 2016-06-21: Swinburneâ€™s success at International Higher Education Awards - Swinburne
- 2016-06-20: QS IMPACT awards recognise staff, student mobility - PIE News
- 2016-06-16: WINNERS OF THE QS UNISOLUTION IMPACT AWARD 2016 ANNOUNCED - QS-UNISOLUTION
- 2016-03-04: IT students click with schools in India - Swinburne