Associate Professor Alfons Palangkaraya
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Swinburne Business School
- Centre for Transformative Innovation
- AGSE201G Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Alfons Palangkaraya is the Deputy Director of the Centre for Transformative Innovation and a Program Leader of Economics and Innovation Analytics at Swinburne Data Science Research Institute. His research focuses on microeconometrics analysis of innovation, intellectual property rights protection, firm performance, and international trade. He has published in academic journals such as Journal of Law and Economics, Journal of International Economics, Research Policy, Rand Journal, and Review of Economics and Statistics. He is the leading chief investigator of two current Australian Research Council Grant projects: “The relationship between firm innovation and performance and the role of government” and “The role of branding and international trademarks in global value chains”. He has done an extensive amount of research consulting on program monitoring and impact evaluation in the areas of innovation and trade/globalisation policies for Australian government institutions and international organisations.
Innovation; Intellectual property; economics; productivity; globalisation; international trade; impact evaluation; research and development; R&D; ASEAN; foreign direct investment; knowledge spillover; patent; econometrics; efficiency analysis; indonesia; firm performance; industry dynamics; corporate governance; global value chain; value added; industrial organization
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Innovation Economics : Global patent system, international trade and the globalisation R&D activities Networks of inventors and scientists and collaboration to generate radical scientific breakthroughs What can governments do to foster science, innovation and technological upgrading? What is the role of international collaboration and migration in scientific research, innovation and economic performance?
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Applied Economics - 140200
Also published as: Palangkaraya, Alfons; Palangkaraya, A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2020: Innovation In Manufactured Food Sector (RFQ) *; Food Standards Australia and New Zealand
- 2019: Analysis of the economic effect of Design Rights on design-intensive firms *; IP Australia
- 2019: Evaluation of the Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) Austrade Programs *; Austrade
- 2019: RD Spill-over effects in Australia by fields of research *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2018: Identifying technological trajectories using machine learning algorithms *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2018: Impact Assessment of Austrade's tailored services *; Austrade
- 2017: Export Dynamics and Export Industry Development *; ERIA
- 2017: Grants Impact Evaluation Project *; Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport & Resources Fund Scheme
- 2017: The role of branding and international trademarks in global value chains *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2016: Annual updates to the Evaluation of Trade Mission program *; Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport & Resources Fund Scheme
- 2015: Data Linking, Matching & Cleaning Service *; IP Australia
- 2015: Skill-related determinants of innovation activity: Australian Evidence from the BLS *; Australian Council of Learned Academies
- 2015: The efficiency of the Global Patent System *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2014: Relationship of firm innovation and performance on the role of government *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display