Sustainability report 2014
Our 2014 sustainability report documents Swinburne's environmental and sustainability outcomes against the Global Reporting Initiative's (GRI) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The GRI is the world benchmark for sustainability reporting.
This is our second sustainability report. It covers the calendar year from 1 January to 31 December 2014. The report aims to:
- identify sustainability issues impacting the environment and society as a result of Swinburne’s activities
- describe our sustainability journey – highlighting past achievements, current projects and future steps needed
- provide students, staff, alumni and partners with a sustainability progress snapshot to better understand how we can improve further.
Several processes helped inform Swinburne’s material sustainability impacts including:
- a benchmarking study of sustainability reports across the tertiary sector in 2013 to compare material impacts
- stakeholder and discipline expert engagement from within Swinburne and more broadly with sustainability experts.
Refinement of material issues and priorities for action by the Sustainability Strategy Steering Group align with Swinburne's strategic initiatives.
Sections of our sustainability report reflect the pillars that underpin our 2020 Plan. The themes within the report are in order according to material impact, our strategic priorities and the GRI categories.